Monday, July 2, 2012

Mythology in YA

I love mythology. It started with the segment my 9th grade English teacher did on Greek mythology. Back then, I was fascinated with Daphne and the Erinyes. In college, I took a mythology class to fulfill an elective. My professor (who looked like Santa Claus, and even wore red frequently) touched a bit upon the Greek myths, but concentrated mostly on Norse and Irish. I took notes, of course, but rather than take them to help me study for tests, I took them as a reference for story ideas and themes. Luckily I still passed the class.

Unchanged features a little-known character from American mythology of the Pacific Northwest. The following books all deal with mythology in some form. Check them out!

Unchanged by Heather CrewsSprite by Leigh Michael
The Chosen by Sheenah FreitasBecome by Ali Cross
Eternal Youth by Julia Crane and Nolia McCartyBonded by Mande Matthews
Betrayal by Mayandree MichelPromises by Amber Garr
Sonora by Travis HallEternal Vows by Chrissy Peebles

No comments:

Post a Comment