Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Self-denial

I don't practice religion, but for some reason I like to observe Lent. My mother raised us Episcopalian (sort of, I guess. It didn't really take). Like a New Year's resolution, only somehow more doable, I look at it as a chance to make myself healthier, since what I give up is usually a food item of some sort. The problem is, I can never remember when it starts since I never look at calendars that tell me when Ash Wednesday occurs. Even if I did, I only figured out today that Lent starts on Ash Wednesday. Also I never know when it ends (April 5th this year, I think). Some Lenter I am. Anyway, this year is no different, since apparently Lent started on February 22nd. So here's what I decided to give up:

1) ice cream. Okay, yes, I'll finish the tub already in the freezer. But no more buying it after that! For forty days, anyway.
2) fast food. Not really a problem. We only eat it about once a week as it is. I've done this before with success. I even give up what I consider the non-fast fast foods (sorry, Roberto's. This means you).
3) coffee. I can do it. I know I can. I'm not addicted, I swear. It's just a morning ritual, nothing more!
4) Just for the record, I will never give up popcorn. That would be cruel and unusual.

So that's that. We'll see. Forty days isn't so long and I'll probably lose track anyway since the days of the week and dates mean nothing to me these days (except in the case of coupon expiration dates, heh heh). The time shall fly right by and I'll be eating mocha cheesecake ice cream again in no time!

No comments:

Post a Comment